Good Things Ahead [Like Pancakes!]
Happy Wednesday, folks! Hope your week is treating you well. Mine started off sort of busy(ish), leaving me no time to workout on Monday. That may also be due to my poor planning skills! On Tuesday, however, I did have time to workout.
I woke up later than I had anticipated (oops), had a healthy breakfast, and headed to class. I walked out of the house and noticed the sun or blue sky was nowhere to be found. As I was driving, I realized how dreadfully unmotivated that made me feel! I was also a little sad about the fact that I can’t really run right now :( During my first outdoor run since the half marathon last week, I had that debilitating knee pain again and I quickly realized I needed to give it more time to rest. (And possibly physical therapy.)
I powered through 40 minutes of intervals on the elliptical – gag me. I really really don’t like the elliptical because I just get SO bored. I hate feeling like the pedals are moving my legs for me. I miss running :( I managed to get my heart rate up and my sweat flowing though. I did a few leg and shoulder supersets and I was outta there. Once I got my body moving, I felt much better.
As I left the gym at my school, I saw that some blue sky had come out! When I was driving home, the view through my rearview mirror was of dark, grey, forboding clouds, but the view in front of me was of clear, blue, sunny sky! Metaphor, much?
Just because you wake up on the wrong side of the bread (Rugrats reference, anybody?) doesn’t mean that you have to stay there! A short bout of exercise can cure a glum chum in no time. (Cheesy, I know!)
I also have a tasty breakfast recipe to share with you, readers! I call it a Cinnamon Raisin All-in-One Pancake!
- 2 cups rolled oats pulsed in food processor
- 8 whole eggs or 2 cups egg whites
- 2 scoops unflavored protein powder (I used PlantFusion from Wegmans)
- 4 tbsp ghee (clarified butter) or coconut oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 cup raisins
- Pulse your rolled oats into a flour in the food processor.
- Add all ingredients except raisins into a large bowl - oats, eggs, protein powder, ghee, cinnamon, baking powder, vanilla, salt, honey, and milk.
- Carefully blend with a hand mixer on a low speed, and once ingredients start to congeal, increase mixing speed to medium or high.
- When it forms a thick batter, fold in the raisins with a spatula.
- Set your griddle or stove to low heat. Splash a drop of water on the surface to see if it sizzles. If it does, you're ready to cook!
- Scoop 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until bubbles start to form on the surface. Flip pancakes, then cook for another 3-4 minutes - paying close attention that they do not burn. Repeat until there is no more batter left.
- Serve with spread of your choice - a little ghee, lite cream cheese, maple syrup, or even nut butter!
- Heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, then toast in a pop up toaster or regular toaster oven until desired doneness is reached.