Kale & Quinoa Sautee + Weekend Recap!
Happy monday! And Happy June! I cannot believe we are almost halfway through the year of 2014 already. I also cannot believe that almost 1 year ago, at the end of June 2013, I finished chemotherapy. It’s crazy how time flies! Thankfully I am now in remission for almost 7 months. I constantly remind myself what a blessing it is to be able to live my life healthily and happily.
Did ya’ll have a good weekend!? I did. On Friday, I didn’t have work so I leisurely went to the gym for a killer leg workout. Naturally, I treated myself to iced coffee afterwards :p I’ve got a problem.
I’ve been spending a lot of time with someone special lately – so we had date night (I cooked dinner), then went out for drinks at the Level3 lounge atop the Melt Grill and saw Million Ways to Die in the West. (not thaaat great). P.S. I love wine. A lot.
I had a work meeting on Saturday and relaxed that evening (hello, netflix!!!). On Sunday, I did spin class with my favorite instructor. She had a wicked hard class full of fast climbs. I don’t know what it was – perhaps leftover soreness from Friday’s leg workout – but I felt so slow the whole class and my booty was killin’ me! Nevertheless, I pushed through it. I was super excited for the day following my workout though! Special someone and myself went to a Dierks Bentley concert that evening with his sister and her boyfriend. The weather was absolutely gorgeous. Great time with great people :)
Aaaand that brings us back to monday – we drove back early this AM so we could both get to work on time. He had billing day at work – I played parachute and blew bubbles. Equally important jobs, am I right? ;)
Speaking of work – momma dearest got me this cute Thirty One bag to use to tote all my belongings to work! I’m a sucker for pink :)
My work day ended at 2 so I did my weekly grocery shopping and picked up a few things at Wegmans. Lots of cruciferous vegetables!! It’s weird not “officially” having anything to do in my spare time until I begin the nutrition therapy program. Til then I’ll just be pondering life – what is life, what is virtue, what are things made of, etc. LOL JK. (can you tell I took a philosophy course last semester?)
To conclude the post, I’ll leave you with a simple little recipe I’ve been loving lately. Makes a great savory, filling side dish or even main dish with some veggies!!
Kale & Quinoa Sautee
- 1/2 c. cooked quinoa
- 2 strips turkey bacon, uncooked and chopped into small pieces
- Minced garlic
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- LAAARGE handful of baby kale (or regular, I prefer baby. it’s not as bitter)
- Handful of diced tomatoes
- Optional extra protein – chicken, turkey, etc.
- Shredded Parmesean (again, optional)
- Dash of oregano and onion powder
1. Cook your quinoa according to the package. (usually 2 c. liquid, 1 c. quinoa. You’ll only use half for the rest of this recipe. Or all of it – whatevs! Chicken/vegetable broth adds a little extra flavor instead of just water)
2. Sautee your diced turkey bacon in 1/2 tbsp olive oil and the minced garlic.
3. Once it’s cooked to your liking, add in your kale and about 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
4. When the kale becomes wilty and a darker green color, add in your quinoa, tomatoes, and spices. Stir it up and set the heat to low and let it sit for 5-7 minutes, covered.
5. Remove from heat and stir in parmesean cheese. Bon appetit!!! :)
(Here is where I got the inspiration to use sauteed kale!)
What’s your favorite kale recipe? Please share!