Run 2 Your Own Beat

Run 2 Your Own Beat

A Health & Happiness Blog

Stem Cell Transplant: Moving Forward

May 23, 2015 | Comment

Howdy folks! Since I have so much time on my hands, I thought this would be a great time to get back into the habit of blogging. I love sharing my workouts and healthy recipes with you, however due to recent events, I found it hard to find inspiration because I had so much to worry about with figuring out logistics and dealing with my treatments, etc. 

What I’ve Been Doing

Sometimes, a whole lot of nothing! When I first got to the Hope Lodge, I was still a lot weaker than I was before. The day I got out of the hospital, I walked 10 blocks with my aunt and cousin. I was really pushing it – that exhausted me. Once I checked into the Hope Lodge, I was still very tired and even cooking for myself was a chore. I’m lucky enough to have had my aunt as my caretaker, and she did most of the cooking while I was still weak. 

I started doing Daily Burn again – I’d done a review of the site before, and I loved it! I stopped using it though because I had the ability to go to the gym all the time. This ended up being a perfect time to pick it back up again. I’ve been doing the yoga program for a little over a week now, and I’m already feeling stronger. I’m also really sore!! :P I do yoga every other day, and even on the days I do yoga, I try to meet my daily step goal of 5,000 steps. 

My FitBit has been awesome in this recovery because it helps me stay active, inching my way towards my goals. Here’s a snapshot of my yoga workout that I logged from the other day. Since I have the Charge HR, it shows a graph of where my heart rate was throughout the workout:



I’ve also been participating in some daily/weekly challenges with some friends from back home – if it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t be moving as much as I am! Thanks guys for pushing me to keep getting stronger!!

Some of my walks may or may not have been to some of the stores during off-peak hours and I may or may not have done some shopping.. :D

Other than yoga, walking, cooking occasionally, reading, and catching up with TV shows on Hulu, I spend a decent chunk of time wishing I could just be home again. My stamina isn’t near what I want it to be, and I still get tired easily, but I am getting stronger every day!

What I’ve Been Eating

For the first 100 days after the transplant, I have a relatively weak immune system – like that of a baby. I have to be on a low-microbial diet, meaning limited fresh fruits/veggies, no leafy greens – anything that could potentially be harboring any bacteria that my immune system cannot yet handle. It hasn’t been too bad so far – I’ve found ways to make sure I still get vegetables in my diet, and some fruits. I’m eating a lot of frozen veggies, and I found a brand that makes hormone/antibiotic free, all natural grilled chicken strips that taste delicious. I can eat some fruits/vegetables if they are well washed and peeled though! I’ve been eating three solid meals a day, which is fantastic and I’m slowly starting to get my taste buds back. Oh, also, I can’t drink for 3-6 months. Boo :( 

Here’s the first ‘home-cooked’ meal I had since mid-march – cooked all by myself! (Okay, with some help from my aunt!) I made an egg scramble with peppers, tomatoes, and onions, hash browns, and bacon! YUM! I’ve also been LOVING bulletproof coffee lately!!


On a day earlier this week when I was feeling super energized, I decided to try a recipe I found online for Gluten Free Monkey Bread. I know it’s not the healthiest option, but it’s never a bad time to…


It. Was. Fabulous. I used Bob’s Red Mill GF pizza dough instead of making dough from scratch, and I spent a solid chunk of my afternoon making this recipe. I didn’t mind it though, because it gave me something to do. I shared it with some of my friends on my floor and they loved it!  



So..that’s about all I’ve got to share for now! I’m going to be starting a year of a maintenance drug called Brentuximab on Tuesday, and that’ll be a 1 hour infusion every 3 weeks. It’s relatively well tolerated, and as long as I don’t have any reactions to it, I’ll be heading home by the end of next week! YAY!!!! And just for kicks, here’s a picture of me in my new wig enjoying some fresh air, being a rebel without my mask and gloves! :o


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *